Severe Coccidiosis In Kittens
Symptoms of coccidia are usually seen in kittens less than 6 months of age or adult cats with weak immune systems but coccidia can be present in cats of any age and breed.
Severe coccidiosis in kittens. If left untreated coccidiosis in symptomatic kittens can lead to death. Coccidia are a group of single celled parasites called protozoa. Before going into more detail it s important to realize that diarrhea is a symptom rather than a diagnosis in its own right.
Many cats can be infected with coccidia but show no symptoms. Kittens and older cats that are stressed or have a weak immune system are more likely to be affected by coccidia 1 2. Kittens who are infected with coccidiosis are contagious and can infect the rest of the litter.
Coccidiosis is a parasitic type of infection caused by the coccidia parasite. What exactly is coccidia and how serious is the problem. The most common parasite to cause coccidiosis in cats is isospora felis.
Symptoms of coccidiosis appear almost two weeks after the initial infection. Thus any cat with diarrhea especially a young kitten should be checked by a vet to get to the bottom excuse the pun of the problem what is a coccidian infection. In kittens and debilitated adult cats coccidiosis may cause severe watery diarrhea dehydration abdominal distress and vomiting most cats that are infected with coccidia do not have diarrhea or any other clinical signs.
In kittens coccidiosis infection can cause watery and bloody diarrhea vomiting pain and dehydration followed by rapid weight loss. Coccidia are small protozoans one celled organisms that multiply in the intestinal tracts of cats and dogs most commonly in kittens and puppies less than six months of age in adult animals whose immune systemis suppressed or in animals who are stressed in other ways e g. These often cause an intestinal tract infection called coccidiosis 1 2.
Change in ownership other disease present. If it is not treated over time it can cause damage to the lining of a cat s intestinal tract. Coccidiosis can be easily treated if feline coccidia are detected early and medication is prescribed.
- Bulldog Puppies Grey And White
- Bulldogge Kaufen Tierheim
- Bulldog Puppies Free Puppies Near Me Now
- Bulldogge Kaufen Berlin
- Bulldog Puppy Breeders Ontario
- Bulldog Yoga Boulder Co
- Bulldog Puppies For Sale Ohio
- Bulldog Puppies Price In Sri Lanka
- Bulldog Puppies Price In Pakistan
- Bulldog Rescue Wilmington Nc
- Bulldog Security Keyless Entry
- Bulldog Puppies Raleigh Nc
- Bulldog Puppies Rescue Florida
- Bulldog Puppies Oregonlive
- Bulldog Puppies Near Me For Adoption
- Bulldog Security Keyless Entry Model Ke1702
- Bulldog Puppy French Bulldog Price In India
- Bulldog Puppies For Sale Nj
- Bulldog Puppy Price In India 2020
- Bulldogge Mix Ebay